Thursday, August 04, 2011

Tea is liquid wisdom..for Sunburns?

BEST SUNBURN REMEDY: TEA!



After 4 hours at the beach without sunscreen, you could imagine I had a sunburn. It takes a few hours for my skin to show if I got any colour, so after lying under the direct sunlight for hours, I went home to see that my skin was red. A few hours later I checked out my skin and it was lobster red.

So I started with the Vitamin E gel and Aloe gel, reapplying every 30 minutes. After having quite a few bad sunburns I’ve realized it only gets worse before it gets better. After a few days it got more painful and I figured out that the Aloe and Vitamin E really didn’t help my burn. The pain from applying it wasn’t worth the temporary relief. I looked up sunburn remedies and I saw the usual; aloe, cold shower, vinegar. But I kept stumbling across one that my friend had mentioned to me..... Tea. Everyone who mentioned it said you had to do this right away or it wouldn’t work. I tried it anyway, at this point I would try anything... unfortunately for me... it didn’t work. So I suffered through the pain, the


sticky skin, and finally the peeling for over a week. I realized I needed to do something right after I got the burn so it would go away before it turned bad.


A few weeks later I got another burn ( you would think I would have learned) after being outside all day. Instead of worrying about going through the pain of a sunburn that would surely show up the next day, I tried “the tea thing”. I made some orange pekoe tea, poured it into a bowl, let it cool, and soaked a towel in it. Then I put the towel on my burn. I lied down reading my book for about 30 minutes with the cool, tea soaked towel on my back. I took it off and went to bed, and when I woke up the next morning I was extremely pleased with my skin. I had a tan!


You could imagine my excitement when I realized that I didn’t have to live through another burn again because of my newfound discovery. However, I have also learned that one bad burn today is not as minuscule as I make it to be. If you want a tan, be sun smart, you have one skin... so be good to it!




Until Next time, have some fun in the sun... but safely....Next time Im going to get the golden glow with the help of a fake tanner.

No comments: